Surgical mistakes, or errors during diagnostic procedures, like cardiac catheterization, are far more common than most people realize. Some estimates put surgical errors per year in the thousands. In most cases, these mistakes are the result of medical malpractice or negligence.
At The Donnelly Law Firm, we have decades of collective experience in complex medical malpractice claims. Our New Jersey surgical error attorneys can help you if you or your loved one was the victim of a surgical mistake that resulted in injuries, complications, and/or damages. While we cannot undo the pain and suffering you have been through, we do understand your situation and we are prepared to fight for the full, fair recovery you are owed.
Examples of Common Surgical or Invasive Procedure Errors
Generally speaking, surgical errors are preventable mistakes that occur during both minor and major surgeries, as well as other invasive medical procedures. These mistakes may occur as a result of medical incompetence, improper communication, inadequate pre- or post-operation planning, fatigue, or neglect. The consequences for surgery patients can range from relatively mild to severe; surgical errors may even result in death.
Some examples of common surgical mistakes include:
- Wrong-Site Surgery: This occurs when the surgeon operates on the wrong area of the body
- Wrong-Patient Surgery: A surgeon may perform an operation on the wrong patient or confuse two different surgery patients
- Retained Foreign Objects: An object, such as forceps or a sponge, may be accidentally left in the body after surgery
- Anesthesia Mistakes: Administering too much or too little anesthesia can be a type of surgical error
- Nerve Damage: A surgeon may accidentally injure a nerve during a surgical operation
- Over-Aggressive Surgery: A surgeon may conduct surgery that extends beyond the intended site and injure other organs
- Inadequate Surgical Removal of Tumors or Other Growths: This can result in a surgeon negligently leaving diseased tissue behind
This list is not exhaustive; there are many other types of surgical mistakes, all of which can result in devastating, catastrophic injuries or even the death of the patient.
Our Firm Can Fight for You
If you suffered injuries or complications or lost a loved one following a surgical procedure, we encourage you to reach out to our firm as soon as possible for a free, confidential consultation. It is very possible that a surgeon, nurse, anesthesiologist, hospital, or another party is liable for your damages.
Our New Jersey surgical error attorneys can help you fight for the fair compensation you are owed for your additional medical bills, lost wages/income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and more. We have over 50 years of combined experience and have successfully secured more than $140 million on behalf of our clients. Our attorneys are widely recognized for their track record of results and their history of providing tireless representation for victims of medical malpractice throughout the state.